Monday, April 28, 2008

Yet another "Can Drupal do this?" post.

Hello,
Drupal n00b here. Did some searching, and didn't find a direct answer. But I see lots of "Can Drupal do this?" posts, so I assume that this is the place to ask...

Here's what I want to do:
Main page of my site, say mydomain.org/ has publicly accessible stuff, mostly general information, announcements, etc. Probably only a couple of people would be able to change anything. Most users would not log in, and would have re-only access.

Linked from there would be a "Members" area. To see anything at all, users would need to log in. This area would have blogs, forums, whatever. So people might be able to post to some stuff here.

With the Users, Rolls, Groups in Drupal, can I set up something like this? Any pointers on how to do it?

My web host offers Drupal via Fantastico install, so I'll probably just install it and start playing, but it would be nice to have a little direction before I get going. Which brings up another question. If I install Drupal for testing, at mydomain.org/drupal, leaving my current site in place, can I later move it to root of mydomain.org/ when I'm ready to go live with it?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Jeff.