Monday, April 28, 2008

Site w/ relatively static homepage, blog on /blog, categories on /blog/category/xxx, archives on /blog/archives/... possible?

I'm trying to pick my CMS. I've worked with Wordpress in the past, but am finding it can't quite do what I want. I have downloaded drupal and installed and have been poking around and reading some of the handbook, but it is less intuitive than Wordpress (to me a least).

So, my question before I get too deep is in it is whether I can build a single-user site with the following attributes using drupal (6.x):

homepage (shows some relatively static info, latest blog post titles, other things)
blog:
blog homepage should be on domain.com/blog
blog categories accessible from domain.com/blog/category/categoryname
blog archive index accessible from domain.com/blog/archives
other pages as needed on domain.com/pagename

and, very important for me, the ability to have some non-drupal content accessible from urls like domain.com/directoryname, where directoryname is the name of a directory of static non-drupal content i already have and want/need to leave as is.

Is this possible with drupal?

If so, any suggestions for places to start would be appreciated. I found a tutorial on building a single-user blog site, but it appears to be for an old version of drupal.