Sunday, April 20, 2008

Some basic questions after 3 days

So after 3 days from absolute cold I have drupal5.7 running on a local xp box under xampp for study. I have managed to integrate gallery2 and a forum and have test users. So I know it works, albeit by trial & error. I'm still struggling conceptually with nodes etc and my sql knowledge is minimal.

Some questions as I need to upgrade an existing photo club site.

The club site is running on a linux server on a shared host (streamline) using standard html pages and phpbb3 & coppermine. Bit scrappy as I can't integrate the BB & coppermine (incompatible versions I found out afterwards) hence the look at Drupal.

1) I would like to instal drupal on the server without it taking control from my index.html front page so the existing site can work until I get the drupal one fully configured. Ideally Drupal should reside in my root folder (htdocs) not a sub folder but will this stop me using the original site whilst testing the new one. I understand that an upload folder should be above htdocs

2) Should I have just one sql database for the entire drupal setup or is it advisable to seperate out the gallery to another database?

3) Is there a tutorial/manual that describes the logical structure of Drupal so I can see how it all hangs together (nodes & blocks etc are a new concept).

read more