Sunday, April 20, 2008

Is Drupal fit for my project? (mini-encyclopedia)

Hi, I'm new here, so please be kind :)

I love most things about cars, and have a pretty large database on car accessories; from classical stuff to the weirdest thing you can imagine. I started to create a wiki using mediawiki in the hopes of extending my knowledge, and discovering new accessories with the help of contributors. But after discovering Drupal, (about 2 weeks ago) I started to see more possibilities, and distanced myself from being totally reliant on the concept of a wiki.

...But I am still unsure, so I am hoping that some experienced Drupal developers can give me some pointers. I have seen the demo wiki site created with Drupal 6 using wikitools, and the pearwiki filters, and I'm aware of its current functionality. What I am hoping for are alternative ways to create a encyclopedia by centralizing on the core features of Drupal using its stable modules, which I have a very limited knowledge of at this time, but willing to learn.

I would like to have these features on my site.
(( user posting/editing, category pages, image uploads and other general things are assumed possible))

1. Foreign language pages that interlink between corresponding titles like Mediawiki. (I only need English, German & Italian. Not every language on the globe)

read more