Thursday, April 24, 2008

Nave user trying to get started with Drupal

Apologies in advance everybody,

Two friends have strongly recommended Drupal to me, since it is time I
learned a good CMS. I am a naive user of CMSs for authoring webpages,
though I have hand-coded a couple of sites in HTML
[ http://www.otherlanguages.org is my site, 7 years old and updated several
times a week in HTML] and had to use Typo3 while working at a VoIP firm in 2005.

So while I am very much a novice at this stage, I believe I will understand quickly if someone can explain things to me in simple English.

Requirements : there seems to be a long list of things I require [Apache, PHP] "at" my web server, but I don't really understand what this means. I use internet cafes here in Budapest heavily, and sometimes WiFi at different locations with my laptop. I have no home ISP account.

So I do not really know what "my" server is, unless you mean the [doteasy.com] server in Vancouver that hosts my site www.otherlanguages.org.

If I want to develop a simple text site using Drupal as a way of learning about this CMS, what must I do? Is there no way I can just download what I need onto my laptop, put it together, and give the code to my friend after a bit of testing?

read more