Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pick a Domain, Find a Domain with PickyDomains

I'll admit, sometimes I spend way too much time surfing for available domain names. It becomes somewhat of a game. Although even when I find an interesting one, I don't always want to go through the process of buying and then trying to sell it. Other times, I have a good idea for a project or business but can't seem to find the right domain name for it.

PickyDomains solves both issues. First, you can create an account, describe your business or potential business and then wait for suggestions from other users. A $50 deposit is required - if you pick one of the suggested domain names you pay $50. If you don't pick any of them, you get your money back.

Now the fun part. You can sign up to be a contributor. Browse people's needs and make suggestions of available domains. You don't need to check for availability, PickyDomains will do that for you. But it might save everyone time if you check it out first. If yours is picked, you get paid $25 via PayPal. PickyDomains keeps track of your suggested domains, how many have been reviewed and how many have been chosen. So it appears that my domain surfing habits could prove to be profitable.

There is one question I don't see addressed on the website: What prevents someone from registering a domain on their own if they see one they like, and avoid paying the fee? I've posed the question to the PickyDomains people and await their response.