Sunday, March 23, 2008

Long initial site load times?

I have spent the past several weeks learning Joomla, preparing to use it for my website. However, I've run into an issue which seems to make Joomla a bad choice, and I'm now looking for a new CMS. I'd like feedback to see if Drupal has the same problem.

The problem with Joomla is that when a Joomla site has not been visited for several hours, it takes 15 to 30 seconds for the site to begin loading; after this initial load, the site then loads quickly for subsequent visitors. For example, if nobody has visited the site all night long, then the first person to visit it in the morning will see his browser sit there for 20 seconds or so before the site begins loading. After that, things will go at normal speed. This delay doesn't seem to be a function of web host, ISP, browser, browser cache, etc. It looks like a Joomla issue, something to do with the Joomla code initiallizing.

People who have sites which have an adequate amount of traffic (1 visit per hour) don't see this issue. But my site is going to be very low traffic (website for the children's ministry of a medium size church) so this will be an issue for me.

Does Drupal suffer from the same problem?